xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: location of /dist/ directory
Date Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:10:51 GMT

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> > Please don't kill off FTP. For me, FTP is much much better than HTTP for
> > retrieving large files. In bad net conditions, I can set ncftp on the go
> > and know it will do the right thing, rather than have to nurse my
> > browser through large downloads (but maybe that's a function of Netscape
> > on Unix...)

> There are several HTTP-based command line tools for fetching URLs, a
> few of which support resuming suspended transfers.  Search freshmeat.net.
> Or use the standard "fetch" if you're on FreeBSD.

Well.. I guess that since I hear some, even if little, rumblings, that we
do need a ftp.xml.apache.org of some kind. I do not think that spending a
bit of extra time so that people far away can connect, is worth it.

The question in part is if we do this on hyperreal/taz. And I can imagine
that that is no longer the right place. I have to agree with brian there.

I'd be quite happy to provide a ftp-download only service for
ftp.xml.apache.org.

Dw