xml-general mailing list archives

From Robert_W...@lotus.com
Subject Re: [Proposal] Guidlines for package distribution of Java projects
Date Sat, 20 Nov 1999 18:38:33 GMT

Good point.  With a Win32 DLL, the version ID could only be read by an
Win32 executable.  And storing the version info in a class file, it could
only be read from within a JVM.  But who are the real users of version
info?  Sure, the program could check itself when loading for the correct
version of components.  But I think an install program or similar
administrative utility would want this info as well.  And an install
program might be written in a language different from the component.  You
can install a Java program using a Win32 InstallShield, or install a C++
program with a Java install program, or install either with a shell script.

So, how about just coding the version info into a self-describing text
file, so everyone can read it?  I hear there is this thing called XML that
might be useful<g>.  The Java JAR's can keep this XML file in the proper
directory and the JVM can load it via getResourceAsStream(), which is
supported, even back in JDK 1.1.  The C++ code could either leave this info
in loose files or bind it to executables where this is available (WIN32).

-Rob