xml-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_Boag/CAM/Lo...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for addiction to the Sun XML Java API
Date Sat, 27 Nov 1999 01:38:11 GMT

Personally, for the record, I am personally not too warm on calling these
"Sun's XML Java API".  For one thing, I'm not sure what the story is with
SAX at this point... is Sun taking it over?  For another, if Sun just
wanted to define the javax.xml.parsers interfaces as part of a community
process, that would be OK (I guess), but claiming that DOM and SAX are part
of an overall Java API for XML specification rubs me the wrong way.  Why
can't these things balance across the community?  Does every well-used Java
interface have to funnel through Sun?  Maybe I just don't get some big
concept.  (Speaking as an individual as always...).

> One thing I see it's the lack of output support: the API is
> "input-biased", in the sense that allows you to _read_ XML. For writing,
> you're on your own.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  It defines Parser for input, and Document
handler for output.  I'm not sure it ought to define serialization methods.
In any case, I would like to see at least SAX2 solidified before
serialization is considered.

-scott