xml-general mailing list archives

From David_Mars...@lotus.com
Subject Re^4: Proposed guidelines for package distribution of Java projects
Date Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:56:08 GMT
Mike Pogue wrote:

>Another possibility -- keep [the version label] in the build script ONLY,
and dynamically
>modify Version.java and Version.hpp to use the correct version number.
>This solves one problem (potential mismatch), but makes the build more
>complicated (requires a sed, or similar, step).

This is my favorite. You could even have the build script ask:
     This version will be called 1.2.3 -- is that okay?  (y/n)
And if the response is "n", then you change the label on the fly.

In my value system, doing a little bit of sed is well worth it, in order to
have the version label set in exactly one place.