xml-general mailing list archives

From David_Marston/CAM/Lo...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Proposed guidelines for package distribution of Java projects
Date Fri, 19 Nov 1999 21:51:36 GMT
I have extensive experience with the versioning issues raised by Stefano. I
support the idea
of a Version class.

At this point, I only want to suggest that we be more explicit about the uses of
the version labels.

>1) Versioning
>
>I propose that every package named
> org.apache.xxx
>contains a class named Version like this
>
>public class Version {
>   public static String getVersion() {
>    return "1.6"
>   }...
>}

We should be explicit about whether we intend this version label to
be usable in strict numeric comparisons, meaning that there is just
one decimal point. If more than two "decimal" fields are allowed, then
you can still test whether the version is earlier than a minimum, but
it's not as easy as a simple numeric < test. However, multiple fields
are nice for isolating different degrees of change in the different
release levels.

3) package name

>I propose the following name model for packages
> name[-type]-version.jar...
>note that "name" and "version" _must_ be the one passed by "getName()"
>and "getVersion()" methods in Version.

This raises some interesting possibilities in the build/make area.
Can we put the name and version labels in exactly one place in the
source, then generate the package name from them?