xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for addiction to the Sun XML Java API
Date Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:10:31 GMT
Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> Personally, for the record, I am personally not too warm on calling these
> "Sun's XML Java API".

It's actually the "Java API for XML Parsing".

> For one thing, I'm not sure what the story is with
> SAX at this point... is Sun taking it over?

No. JAXP relies upon SAX and DOM because, quite frankly, it would be
pretty stupid to try to redefine these things. SAX is widely accepted in
the community as a standard parsing API.

> For another, if Sun just
> wanted to define the javax.xml.parsers interfaces as part of a community
> process, that would be OK (I guess), but claiming that DOM and SAX are part
> of an overall Java API for XML specification rubs me the wrong way.  Why
> can't these things balance across the community?

We are trying to make sure that we take the approach that is best for
the community. The community has pretty much said that "we're happy with
SAX and DOM and it would be great for there to be a standard way of
using any parser that exposes that functionality in the Java platform."
This is why we're standing on top of the SAX and DOM shoulders.

The actual JAXP is 4 classes. Just enough to integrate a compliant
parser into the platform. No more. Think about it, do you want yet
*another* parsing methodology to be developed? If we did so, I bet you'd
be saying "Why does Sun feel like they have to redefine everything?"

>  Does every well-used Java
> interface have to funnel through Sun?  Maybe I just don't get some big
> concept.  (Speaking as an individual as always...).

It may not be clear enough in how the specification is presented, but
the point with JAXP is that the fundamental SAX and DOM apis don't
funnel through Sun. We rely upon the other standards that are already in
progress.

.duncan

--
James Davidson                                     duncan@eng.sun.com
Java + XML / Portable Code + Portable Data                 !try; do()