xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Makefile's
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:08:43 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> First: javac sucks. Even Sun knows that (in fact the have a new version
> rewritten from scratch that does a better job).

Well, I wouldn't say it "sucks", but it was way overdue for an update
:). I'm very much happier with the new compiler in 1.3. It's quite a bit

For example, tomcat takes about 28 seconds to build on my machine
(366Mhz P2 / JDK 1.3 + Hotspot) with the classic compiler and about 17
seconds with the new one. And this build process copies about 200 files
into place, performs 4 compilation cycles (different sourcepath /
classpath combinations for examples, etc), and does an RMIC compile. I
can live with 17 seconds max compile time :)

Doing an incremental build (1 file touched for recompile), the build
time is in the 2-3 second range.

I'll be checking in the modern compiler support into Ant in a few days
-- I'm still determining the best way to interface with it.

James Davidson                                     duncan@eng.sun.com
Java + XML / Portable Code + Portable Data                 !try; do()

View raw message