xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Makefile's
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:35:12 GMT
Tim Bray wrote:
> >       1.      to simply compile everything in one javac statement
> >               which has been CD's to the right output
> >               directory. Regardless of wether all java files need
> >               to be recompiled.
>
> I usually do this.  For two reasons:
>
> - javac is fast enough to make this tractable even for remarkably large
>   projects (or maybe it's just that the computers are faster now?)
> - one less thing to maintain

Yep. If anybody has gone into the ant source deeply enough, they'll
notice that it does scan the sourcepath comparing it to the destpath for
a simple timestamp check of .java:.class files. And then passes in
everything to javac in one swoop. This gets the advantage of compiling
everything at once in while whittling down the list when possible.

For example, when I've got some code that depends on Swing, but I only
modify code in a class that doesn't depend on Swing, the timestamp
checking will keep the compiler from chasing through all the Swing
classes, thus speeding up the incremental compiles.

.duncan

--
James Davidson                                     duncan@eng.sun.com
Java + XML / Portable Code + Portable Data                 !try; do()