xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Re^4: Proposed guidelines for package distribution of Java projects
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 07:00:21 GMT
Mike Pogue wrote:
> I think this is a key comment, that points us at the heart of the
> discussion:  ANT needs to grow over time, to create Tasks for all these
> build, packaging, and test needs.  But, some people feel that all these
> tasks can be already be done by make, sed, perl, etc.

Sure... Those tasks can be done on specific platforms. Unix is easy.
Windows is hard. I tried to build Xerces -- oops, had to get cygwin.
Lots of megs later, I try it and whaddya know, it doesn't work for me.
Rajiv tells me that I've got to snag a newer make. And run it from DOS
instead of from Bash. Shesh. And after all that, it still doesn't work.
So, I'll just use Unix for the make style builds. On windows, I've got a
9 line build.xml file to get the classes put together. Less than 20
seconds later, I've got all 162 source files compiled somewhere usable.

> BTW, the one thing I've learned over time (having done
> build/packaging/test for several products) is that whatever you do for
> build automation, people will complain!  ;-)

Oh yes. Put up or shut up I say. 'tis why I created ant. :)

--
James Davidson                                     duncan@eng.sun.com
Java + XML / Portable Code + Portable Data                 !try; do()