xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Guidlines for package distribution of Java projects: like XML file being read by class
Date Wed, 24 Nov 1999 03:43:03 GMT
Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:
> The below idea is best - keep the number in the build script, and have it
> automatically inserted into the Version.java/.hpp at build time.  I've been
> on several projects that do this, although they had the advantage of being
> single-platform.  Anyone have a really simple, cross-platform way to do
> this?

There's a "stamping" facility that we've tinkered with in Ant where ant
can write something into a file, but I'd highly recommend against
preprocessing of the java source files.

Instead of XML, this sounds like a good place for a properties looking
file. The file could contain a single line "version=1.0.1" and be read
in via java.util.Properties (or just directly and parsed). In C, I'm
sure that there is a way to include it in.

--
James Davidson                                     duncan@eng.sun.com
Java + XML / Portable Code + Portable Data                 !try; do()