xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Re^4: Proposed guidelines for package distribution of Java projects
Date Wed, 24 Nov 1999 03:35:51 GMT
Mike Pogue wrote:

> I agree that a version id in a single place is desirable.
> Note that the sed/perl solution would then require sed/perl (or
> equivalent)
> to be available on the platform, adding a tool dependency.
>
> When we talked about ANT earlier, this is the kind of thing I was
> thinking of.
> Building the jar file is just one part of the whole build process, and
> if ANT
> is to be a viable alternative to make + sed + perl, then it needs
> equivalents
> for these kinds of things, running tests, etc....

At one time, we had a "stamp" in Ant that would replace text in a file
of the form ${prop} with the defined property. It's not in the current
task list, but could be placed in.

But, Ant is designed so that Tasks can be written easily. I'm open to
new tasks being placed in.. :)

.duncan

--
James Davidson                                     duncan@eng.sun.com
Java + XML / Portable Code + Portable Data                 !try; do()