xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The need for a site-wide XML-based information system
Date Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:52:56 GMT
Mike Dierken wrote:

> Let's toss up some requirements & create a straw-man proposal of the system
> diagram (like a WebDAV server, with a security proxy in front of everything
> and XSL in there somewhere...).

No. Let's keep WebDAV out of the way for now. A couple of reasons:

1) no widely available tools
2) CVS is good enough for this
3) docs are already stored in CVS modules

CVS + SSH is good enough for now.

> >                       xlink:type="simple"
> >                       xlink:mode="soft">user manual</link>
> >
> > where the "xlink:mode" attributed was invented here to allow XLink
> > interpreters to distinguish between hard links (where href
> > should not be
> > touched) and soft links (where href can be considered not as a URI but
> > as a key into a URI map)
> I like this 'hard/soft' mode on an XML tagged link. After reading this I
> translated it into 'presentation' link and 'data' link. Data links are easy,
> because they are mixed in with other data. Presentation links are hard
> because the data will never know what presentation format it might end up
> in, so instructing the processor to blindly jam in stuff can get messy.
> That's one reason why HTML was so quickly adopted - you could do 'includes'
> without worrying about presentation because there was only one presentation
> format - HTML. The 'right' approach of separating data from presentation
> didn't work well & the 'wrong' approach worked because it was a simplified
> system.

Nice reasoning.

I looked deeper into the XLink spec and they clearly show the intention
of come up with something to solve this data/presentation problem.

I'll come up with something to propose here and we might brainstorm it
here furst before submitting it to the XLink WG for review. Deal?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.