xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Guidlines for package distribution of Java projects
Date Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:10:39 GMT
Robert_Weir@lotus.com wrote:

> But doesn't Java already has a component model, JavaBeans?
>
> With this comes
> a preexisting packaging model (JAR's) which includes a versioning scheme
> (in the manifest file), supporting other nice things, like digital signing.
> I believe that browsers like Netscape 4 can use this information to tell
> whether or not to automatically update installed JAR's.

In a perfect world we would forget about Java 1.1 and move on.
Unfortunately, until some big blue company doesn't do something about
it, we are stuck with Java 1.1 and we don't have those nice methods like

 java.lang.Package.getImplementationVersion()

which would fit our needs.

> For C++/Win32, the natural parallel would be version resource tables in
> DLL's.

Yes, but can you access them from the DLL code directly?

> I guess, we need to ask, do we want to create something new and use it
> everywhere, or use/adapt what already exists, but have it be different for
> each platform?

"Good programmers know what to write, great programmers know what to
reuse".

I totally agree with you, unfortunately, unless I overlooked this big
time, the package versioning specification was added in Java 1.2. :(

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.