xml-general mailing list archives

From Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Creation of the Apache XML "Ant" Project
Date Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:23:33 GMT
At 05:01 PM 11/15/99 +0100, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>Unlike C and C++ we have few -D define like construct's, etc, etc as java
>is platform independent enough. So why not stick to simple make ? We could
>get away with just an exported MAKE, RM, CP, JAVAC, JAR and CLASSPATH
>variable. If you keep all relative live stays simple. No ../includes
>needed either :-).

Speaking at some distance from the codebase, DW makes a lot of sense
to me.  If there are some specific things we need to do that make can't
do, that's one thing, but it hardly seems that there are.  Using standard
make removes one barrier-to-entry.

 -Tim

PS: anyone remember the bad old days of "imake"?