xml-general mailing list archives

From Rajiv Mordani <m...@chinet.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for addiction to the Sun XML Java API
Date Sat, 27 Nov 1999 09:19:27 GMT
I suggest that any future comments regarding the spec be sent to
xml-spec-comments@eng.sun.com.

Now for some of my comments:

The spec isn't trying to take over SAX and DOM. We participate in
the DOM working group and also have been involved with SAX development.
Instead the spec says "This specification extends the SAX and DOM APIs
to provide.."  and the JSR also clearly mentions :

"In all of these cases, it is the desire of this process not to
preempt the work being done there" (in the context SAX, DOM, OASIS/NIST),
" but rather to collaborate as appropriate to achieve the intended results.
In particular, this standard extension process will provide a focus on Java
Platform integration issues, which are not the primary goal of any of those
existing efforts."

So the intent of the spcification is very clear.

The point of saying that SAX and DOM is an overall part of the API is to
"endorse" these standards and not redefine or take over them through the JCP.
I personally think that it wouldn't be a good idea to go off and define another
similar standard when one already exists. This ofcourse is my personal thought.
If others think differently then maybe you'll should send feedback to the
mail alias mentioned above. Feedback is always really valuable for coming up
with a good API.

- Rajiv

--
  UNIX _is_ user friendly,
  he's just very picky about who his friends are.