xml-general mailing list archives

From "James Tauber" <jtau...@jtauber.com>
Subject Re: Proposed guidelines for package distribution of Java projects
Date Mon, 22 Nov 1999 02:39:37 GMT
> We should be explicit about whether we intend this version label to
> be usable in strict numeric comparisons, meaning that there is just
> one decimal point.

If you plan the number of digits, you can have three or more revision levels
and do a lexical comparison.

eg   00.05.02

I definitely prefer three-field versions. With FOP, I've increased the least
significant for bug-fixes and minor code-cleanups, the middle field for new
features and major code changes. I haven't increased the most-significant
field because I'm saving that for when the spec is finished.

> This raises some interesting possibilities in the build/make area.
> Can we put the name and version labels in exactly one place in the
> source, then generate the package name from them?

I would like that very much.

James