Hi all,

With the XML project appearing to be slowly shutting down (Xindice is now the only project left there) I think it's time we fully moved XML Commons over to Xerces. In my opinion these changes are long overdue.

Here's what I'm proposing:

==================================

1) Move the website to xerces.apache.org

Proposing the new site address to be http://xerces.apache.org/xml-commons and set up a permanent redirect to it for old links to http://xml.apache.org/commons

2) Move the download area to http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces

Releases would be located under http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces/xml-commons with a permanent redirect set up for links to the old one http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/commons

commons-dev@xml.apache.org --> xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org
commons-cvs@xml.apache.org --> merge into the existing commits@xerces.apache.org

All of Xerces' other sub-projects share the same commits list. Hoping this will improve oversight / awareness of activities in XML Commons in the rest of the project.

4) Migrate XML Commons from Bugzilla to JIRA

All of Xerces' other sub-projects track their issues in JIRA. Occasionally issues are opened against XML Commons which should have really gone to Xerces-J or Xalan. Right now we return these as invalid and ask the reporter to reopen against the correct project in JIRA. With this move we can transfer the issue to the right JIRA project on their behalf.

5) Move XML Commons to Xerces SVN

Proposing that we move this out from 'xml/commons' to 'xerces/xml-commons' (with no change to the committer list).

I believe that covers everything. If no one objects I'll start the process of moving things over.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab