xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Glavassevich <mrgla...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Completing XML Commons' migration to the Xerces TLP
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:14:33 GMT

Hi Hiranya,

Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com> wrote on 11/15/2010 01:47:56 AM:

> Hi Michael,
>
> This is a very good migration plan. Regarding the mailing lists, I'm
> usually bit hesitant on merging a mailing list to another. But I believe
> the traffic level on these lists are not that high. So it should be fine.

I happen to be subscribed to the "new" and merged dev@ws.apache.org list,
so am quite aware of how such moves can annoy and chase away some of the
subscribers, but I think it's the right thing to do with the commits list
for XML Commons.

> However it would be great if we can somehow tag the
> commit mails to indicate the project name, so subscribers can easily
> filter them out.

Should be easy to filter based on the subject line, e.g. grepping for
"/xerces/java/" vs. "/xerces/c/" vs. "/xerces/xml-commons/".

> Thanks,
> Hiranya
>
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Michael Glavassevich
> <mrglavas@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > With the XML project appearing to be slowly shutting down (Xindice is
now
> > the only project left there) I think it's time we fully moved XML
Commons

http://xerces.apache.org/xml-commons
> > and set up a permanent redirect to it for old links to
> > http://xml.apache.org/commons
> >
> > 2) Move the download area to http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces
> >
> > Releases would be located under
> > http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces/xml-commons with a permanent redirect
set
> > up for links to the old one http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/commons

> > commons-dev@xml.apache.org --> xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org
> > commons-cvs@xml.apache.org --> merge into the existing
> > commits@xerces.apache.org
> >
> > All of Xerces' other sub-projects share the same commits list. Hoping
this
> > will improve oversight / awareness of activities in XML Commons in the
rest
> > of the project.
> >
> > 4) Migrate XML Commons from Bugzilla to JIRA
> >
> > All of Xerces' other sub-projects track their issues in JIRA.
Occasionally
> > issues are opened against XML Commons which should have really gone to
> > Xerces-J or Xalan. Right now we return these as invalid and ask the
reporter
> > to reopen against the correct project in JIRA. With this move we can
> > transfer the issue to the right JIRA project on their behalf.
> >
> > 5) Move XML Commons to Xerces SVN
> >
> > Proposing that we move this out from 'xml/commons' to
'xerces/xml-commons'