xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Bates <ms...@freezone.co.uk>
Subject Re: resolver should be able to parse catalog files without needing to resolve external entities?
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:48:23 GMT
On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 15:10 -0400, Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> The OASIS catalog DTD is included in resolver.jar and there is a
> BootstrapResolver [1] which gets installed on the parser that reads
> the catalog which can return this DTD. I'm sure the reason that isn't
> happening is that the public and system IDs differ from the ones that
> the resolver knows about. You're supposed to extend BootstrapResolver
> (in your own application) if you need support for more than the
> well-known public IDs and URIs for the catalog DTDs / schemas and set
> an instance of this extension on the CatalogManager [2].

Thank you Michael! After some more digging, I think the reason that the
w3c-dtd-xhtml catalog.xml isn't using the well known catalog DTD public
ID and URI,

<!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD XML Catalogs V1.0//EN"
  "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/catalog.dtd">

is that it's trying to use a different DTD?

<!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC "-//GlobalTransCorp//DTD XML Catalogs V1.0-Based Extension V1.0//EN"
    "http://globaltranscorp.org/oasis/catalog/xml/tr9401.dtd">

The xml-core package distributes "tr9401.dtd", in addition to
"catalog.dtd" - here it is,
http://www.sfu.ca/~jdbates/tmp/debian/200910280/tr9401.dtd

- and here are the differences between it, and the "catalog.dtd"
included in resolver.jar,
http://www.sfu.ca/~jdbates/tmp/debian/200910280/diff

I dunno if the w3c-dtd-xhtml catalog.xml actually requires this
different DTD, but it sounds like if it does, and the system ID isn't
accessible, then it will only be parsable by tools which extend
BootstrapResolver to add support for this different DTD?