Hi Jukka,

"Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote on 12/19/2008 05:52:05 AM:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Michael Glavassevich
> <mrglavas@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> > It sounds like it might be a good match. I think XML Commons always hoped to
> > add common XML utilities to the project.
>
> Cool!
>
> > I am curious though about what kind of community you were hoping would build
> > around this code. You should know that XML Commons has fairly low activity
> > [1] with only two components (XML Commons External [aka XML APIs] and the
> > XML Commons Resolver) that are being maintained by a few committers.
>
> Community issues were most heavily on my mind when originally thinking
> of taking this to Apache Commons as they're good at handling these
> kinds of components where the related community is small and only
> sporadically active. But I'd be happy to do this also within Xerces
> (and it looks like Jeremias would too).
>
> Have you seen the recent idea about the "federated commons" [1]?

Nope, I haven't heard of this before. I just read the blog post but I'm not sure I got the gist of it, perhaps because of how late I read it, the length of the post (metaphors and all) and my general lack of familiarity with the Commons project. Does this imply much more than a "Commons federation" website which links to each XYZ Commons project, stating a few goals which all the commons projects share? Perhaps something similar to http://projects.apache.org/ (or part of this site)? And would this be limited to Java projects only? Though all the existing XML Commons components are written in Java, I imagine there might be a C++ version of the resolver one day or possibility other utilities written in other languages. The scope of the project always allowed for these to come in.

I hope the plan wouldn't include mashing all the mailing lists together. I took a peek at the mailing list archives for Commons and saw that some months have had 1000+ posts. That would be way too much noise in my in-box for me to stay subscribed and paying attention for the few posts I'd actually be interested in.