xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Glavassevich <mrgla...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Proposal: Commons SAX
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2008 07:42:40 GMT

Hi Jukka,

"Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote on 12/19/2008 05:52:05 AM:

> Hi,
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Michael Glavassevich
> <mrglavas@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> > It sounds like it might be a good match. I think XML Commons always
hoped to
> > add common XML utilities to the project.
> Cool!
> > I am curious though about what kind of community you were hoping would
> > around this code. You should know that XML Commons has fairly low
> > [1] with only two components (XML Commons External [aka XML APIs] and
> > XML Commons Resolver) that are being maintained by a few committers.
> Community issues were most heavily on my mind when originally thinking
> of taking this to Apache Commons as they're good at handling these
> kinds of components where the related community is small and only
> sporadically active. But I'd be happy to do this also within Xerces
> (and it looks like Jeremias would too).
> Have you seen the recent idea about the "federated commons" [1]?

Nope, I haven't heard of this before. I just read the blog post but I'm not
sure I got the gist of it, perhaps because of how late I read it, the
length of the post (metaphors and all) and my general lack of familiarity
with the Commons project. Does this imply much more than a "Commons
federation" website which links to each XYZ Commons project, stating a few
goals which all the commons projects share? Perhaps something similar to
http://projects.apache.org/ (or part of this site)? And would this be
limited to Java projects only? Though all the existing XML Commons
components are written in Java, I imagine there might be a C++ version of
the resolver one day or possibility other utilities written in other
languages. The scope of the project always allowed for these to come in.

I hope the plan wouldn't include mashing all the mailing lists together. I
took a peek at the mailing list archives for Commons and saw that some
months have had 1000+ posts. That would be way too much noise in my in-box
for me to stay subscribed and paying attention for the few posts I'd
actually be interested in.