xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Proposal: Commons SAX
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:52:05 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Michael Glavassevich
<mrglavas@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> It sounds like it might be a good match. I think XML Commons always hoped to
> add common XML utilities to the project.

Cool!

> I am curious though about what kind of community you were hoping would build
> around this code. You should know that XML Commons has fairly low activity
> [1] with only two components (XML Commons External [aka XML APIs] and the
> XML Commons Resolver) that are being maintained by a few committers.

Community issues were most heavily on my mind when originally thinking
of taking this to Apache Commons as they're good at handling these
kinds of components where the related community is small and only
sporadically active. But I'd be happy to do this also within Xerces
(and it looks like Jeremias would too).

Have you seen the recent idea about the "federated commons" [1]? That
could be used to increase the visiblity of XML Commons while still
keeping development within Xerces where I believe one finds the best
XML experts at Apache.

[1] http://blog.generationjava.com/roller/bayard/entry/the-open-and-federated-commons

BR,

Jukka Zitting