xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Proposal: Commons SAX
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:21:31 GMT
Hi Michael,

basically you might see familiar names again, like me. ;-) See my
initial response to Jukka's proposal on Apache Commons:
http://markmail.org/message/uqlr5pcdda3nms52

Anyway, I don't think we can get high hopes that this will result in a
package with high contribution level. XML Commons would not suddenly
start to buzz with activity (I could be wrong). After all this will we a
consolidation of useful tools written elsewhere with hopefully some
discussions to improve them by sharing ideas. But it could actually
attract some attention which would be a good thing. I'm regularly
writing SAX-based code (parsing and generating) so I'm really interested
in this.

As you've seen with XML Commons Externals, XML Graphics proposed to add
some additional XML APIs but after that not much happened. Still, that
part is a very important part for XML Graphics as it means we have a
good place for those and we still depend on them. I don't think it's
necessarily a bad sign if not much happens. The resolver is a widely
adopted tool. It seems to be good enough not to attract more developers.
I don't expect an XML Commons SAX to be much different once it's
established. At least, since it's not a single component but a
collection of utilities, it will have a better chance to get regular
attention even if probably at a relatively low rate.

The only strange thing is that I didn't make the connection to XML
Commons when Jukka posted the proposal on Apache Commons. Still
wondering about that. ;-)

On 19.12.2008 05:16:49 Michael Glavassevich wrote:

> Hi Jukka,
>
> It sounds like it might be a good match. I think XML Commons always hoped
> to add common XML utilities to the project.
>
> I am curious though about what kind of community you were hoping would
> build around this code. You should know that XML Commons has fairly low
> activity [1] with only two components (XML Commons External [aka XML APIs]
> and the XML Commons Resolver) that are being maintained by a few
> committers. We do update them occasionally. For example this summer we
> upgraded XML Commons External to JAXP 1.4 just prior to starting an
> implementation of the new APIs in Xerces. Otherwise things are usually
> fairly quiet.
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] http://www.ohloh.net/p/xml-commons/contributors
>
> Michael Glavassevich
> XML Parser Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org
>
> "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote on 12/18/2008 08:14:21 AM:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > See below for a proposal I made at the Apache Commons project. I was
> > pointed to the Xerces project as the current home of the XML Commons
> > subproject, so I wanted to check with you on your thoughts about the
> > matter. Would this (a library of SAX utilities) be a good match for
> > the existing XML Commons project?
> >
> > BR,
> >
> > Jukka Zitting

Jeremias Maerki