xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Walsh <...@nwalsh.com>
Subject Re: Future of xml-commons-resolver development and maintenance
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:40:59 GMT
/ "Earl Hood" <earl@earlhood.com> was heard to say:
| If you no longer have the time and resources to work on the
| resolver, are you open to transitioning maintenance to others
| whom have cycles to spare?

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave this unanswered for so long. Getting
ramped up in my new job has consumed most of my bandwidth for a couple
of months.

I'm unlikely to have a lot of time to work on it, so I think it's
reasonable to transition the maintenance over to others.

In the meantime, I did rewrite it a while back, see xmlresolver.dev.java.net.

I've been running the new code for months without issues, but it's
probably still not as well tested as the code in the Apache Commons
project.

My motivations for the rewrite were at least three-fold:

1. The design of the current code base really isn't all that good. I
   didn't know all that much Java when I started and I think some of
   my choices were poor ones. (Some of my new choices may be poor too,
   of course :-).

2. I wanted to support the idea of an automatic local cache, so that
   users don't have to manually build catalog files.

3. I wanted to try to support RDDL.

I'm not sure how (or if) that rewrite should be factored into a transition
plan, but I thought I should mention it.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | DNA neither cares nor knows. DNA just