xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Earl Hood <e...@earlhood.com>
Subject Re: Future of xml-commons-resolver development and maintenance
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:02:21 GMT
On August 14, 2008 at 13:40, Norman Walsh wrote:

> I'm unlikely to have a lot of time to work on it, so I think it's
> reasonable to transition the maintenance over to others.

Thanks for responding.

It does seem that some action on commons-resolver is occuring,
with those having commit access starting to incorporate patches
that have been submitted.  I've submiited a signed license
document so ASF can include the patches I have posted.

> In the meantime, I did rewrite it a while back, see
> xmlresolver.dev.java.net.

I'll try to take a look at it when I get time.

> My motivations for the rewrite were at least three-fold:
>
> 1. The design of the current code base really isn't all that good. I
>    didn't know all that much Java when I started and I think some of
>    my choices were poor ones. (Some of my new choices may be poor too,
>    of course :-).

I think we all can look at code we have written in the past and
realized things could have been done better :)

It seems the features you have added into your newer project could
be added into commons-resolver if there is enough demand for such
features.

One thing that may be a problem with your rewrite is the license you
have for it: GPL.  I personally have no problems with the GPL, but the
license may be prohibitive for some.  This could prevent any potential
transition to a newer resolver implementation for some projects.

Good luck with your new job,

--ewh
--
Earl Hood, <earl@earlhood.com>