xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Future of xml-commons-resolver development and maintenance
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:12:23 GMT
Indeed, the ASF is a meritocracy, and welcomes input from everyone, both
in the form of patches from everyone, as well as code checkins, once
someone becomes a committer on any project.

The issue here is validating that the patches submitted properly follow
the various XML-ish specs available.  Sadly, I've forgotten much of my
real XML knowledge.  We also would need to clearly document any changes
from past behavior that we added to the tool, to avoid surprise by
anyone who uses the resolver in an existing production environment.

The trick to building up community again is to work with interested new
volunteers.  Trust me, I feel *really* bad that I don't have more time
myself.  If it were just a case of eyeballing the code and running
simple programming tests, I'd be doing it already; I could make time for
that.  But when it comes to properly processing documents and catalogs
in strict XML land, and testing that we're not breaking some standard or
behaving completely differently than what people expect - then I get
worried.

I'm definitely looking for ideas - especially ones of finding enough
thoroughly researched test scripts so that we could more easily validate
changes.

As always, the last resort is to fork the code, which of course the ASF
license generally allows you to do.  But I'd love to find a way to draw
in new volunteers while maintaining our strict standards support.

- Shane