xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Glavassevich <mrgla...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Suggested patches for resolver: Windows driver-letter paths and resolveSystem() and <uri>
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:24:51 GMT
Earl Hood <earl@earlhood.com> wrote on 04/17/2008 10:32:43 AM:

> On April 17, 2008 at 00:49, Michael Glavassevich wrote:
>
> > The change you're suggesting to resolveSystem() would break
compatibility.
> > It also doesn't fit with the semantics of the method though I'm sure
you
> > knew that before you suggested it. Any user of the resolver already has
the
> > power to call resolveURI() after resolveSystem() if they choose to or
make
> > any other sequence of calls they want on the Catalog. Have you
considered
> > asking the Ant developers to modify the behaviour of the
<schemavalidate>
> > task or provide some way to tune it?
>
> I think it may be Xerces since that is what Ant uses by default.
> When I get time, I can examine the Xerces code to see if I can
> provide a patch for it.

It is Ant or whatever application which uses the parser that is in control
of resource resolution. EntityResolver, LSResourceResolver and its friends
are just interfaces. Xerces calls whatever implementation that's been
registered with it. It's the application's responsibility to choose or
write an implementation which does what it needs.

> A concern I have about the resolving algorithm, as it is described
> in the W3C doc, is that it appears to lack how <uri> entries are to
> be handled.  It seems to properly resolve something, a <uri> entry
> check should always be done, probably at the end of resolving
> a public ID, system ID, or entity.
>
> If the resolver code does not do this, at least the entity manager
> (which in essences is a "resolver") should.  If it is something
> that all entity managers should do, why not encapsulate it in the
> resolver?
>
> > As for your Windows drive letter patch you should attach that to a
Bugzilla
> > issue [1]. A warning though ... No one has been maintaining the
codebase
> > these days so can't say when that would get reviewed or committed.
Probably
> > going to take a developer with an itch to scratch to get things moving
> > again.
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> --ewh