xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Earl Hood <e...@earlhood.com>
Subject Re: Suggested patches for resolver: Windows driver-letter paths and resolveSystem() and <uri>
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:32:43 GMT
On April 17, 2008 at 00:49, Michael Glavassevich wrote:

> The change you're suggesting to resolveSystem() would break compatibility.
> It also doesn't fit with the semantics of the method though I'm sure you
> knew that before you suggested it. Any user of the resolver already has the
> power to call resolveURI() after resolveSystem() if they choose to or make
> any other sequence of calls they want on the Catalog. Have you considered
> asking the Ant developers to modify the behaviour of the <schemavalidate>
> task or provide some way to tune it?

I think it may be Xerces since that is what Ant uses by default.
When I get time, I can examine the Xerces code to see if I can
provide a patch for it.

A concern I have about the resolving algorithm, as it is described
in the W3C doc, is that it appears to lack how <uri> entries are to
be handled.  It seems to properly resolve something, a <uri> entry
check should always be done, probably at the end of resolving
a public ID, system ID, or entity.

If the resolver code does not do this, at least the entity manager
(which in essences is a "resolver") should.  If it is something
that all entity managers should do, why not encapsulate it in the
resolver?

> As for your Windows drive letter patch you should attach that to a Bugzilla
> issue [1]. A warning though ... No one has been maintaining the codebase
> these days so can't say when that would get reviewed or committed. Probably
> going to take a developer with an itch to scratch to get things moving
> again.
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/

Thanks for the pointer.

--ewh