xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Glavassevich <mrgla...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: A few questions about details
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:31:34 GMT
Hi David,

David M Williams <david_williams@us.ibm.com> wrote on 04/19/2007 02:52:14
AM:

> On
> http://xml.apache.org/commons/
>
> I read:
>
> Issues Jan-02: our current SAX and JAXP code may not pass the
> current J2EE CTS test suite, since we have bugfixes
> above what those CTS tests mandate. If you don't know what that is,
> you don't care; otherwise ask on commons-dev for
> an update.
>
> So ... I'm asking for an update! :)
>
> First, does that Jan-02 mean the second day of January this year,
> or, the Month of January in the year 2002 ... in which case,
> I'd assume the comment is completely out of date?

The Jan-02 there means January 2002. The front page is horribly out of
date.

> My _real_ reason for asking, is I would like to confirm or
> disconfirm that the code in xml-apis.jar is the exact same code
thatwould be
> available from it's original sources,

It is not. The Apache version contains many bug fixes and improvements.

> From a quick analysis, for example, when I look at the SAX code from
> xml-commons-external-1.3.04-src
> and compare it to the SAX code from
> 2.0.2 (sax2r3)
> There is two extra files in the apache version:
> SecuritySupport.java, and
> SecuritySupport12.java.
>
> So ... I'm wondering, does this sound right? Hava I made a mistake
> and they really are supposed to be the same?

That's right. The SecuritySupport classes are only in the Apache version.

> Would there be similar small differences in the org.w3c.dom packages
> and javax.xml packages?

Yes.

> Is there any where these differences are explained or documtned?

Many of the differences are documented in the change log here [1].

> And ... the _real_ reason I want to know all this, is I am working
> on creating OSGi bundles for use with Eclipse.
> And, my end-goal is (mostly) to use the xerces implementation. In
> which case, I assume I would _have_ to use the
> sax APIs from Apache not their original source. And, if I do that,
> any advice on how I should represent the _version_ of those
> sax APIs? Version 2.0.2.1304xxxxxx (just to sort of reflect it came
> from xml-commons version 1.3.04?

1.3.04 represents the version of xml-commons-external as a whole.
2.0.2.1304 might confuse folks; not sure how you can represent that in a
self describing way.

> Any advice welcome.

[1]
http://xml.apache.org/commons/changes.html#version_xml-commons-external-1.3.04