xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Cameron McCormack <...@mcc.id.au>
Subject DOM Level 3 Events and XPath in xml-apis-ext.jar
Date Sun, 19 Nov 2006 00:45:49 GMT
Hi commonsers.

Earlier this year, Jeremias took the initiative[1] to make a branch of
XML Commons to include DOM Level 3 (and SVG 1.1) interfaces.  Batik is
looking at making a release soon (in the next couple of months) and so
I’d like to reuse as much external code as possible from Commons rather
than including it in Batik’s repository.

Are there any plans on merging this branch into the trunk any time soon
(and having another release)?  I note that DOM Level 3 Events is still a
Working Draft (and I’m not sure what the current timeline is) and DOM 3
XPath is a Note (but will be returned to WD status soon), so that may
affect whether you want these interfaces to go in a release at this
stage.

Including only the stable DOM Level 3 interfaces in a Commons release,
and having the unstable ones in Batik’s tree, would be a good compromise
for now I think.  If a release isn’t going to be made soon, is it
“wrong” to make a jar from code that’s in the branch and include it in
Batik’s distribution?

(By the way, should discussion remain on this list, or move to a xerces
list?)

Thanks,

Cameron

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@xml.apache.org/msg00560.html