xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: File URLs will be the death of me
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:13:52 GMT
Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Alexander Pavlenko <alexander.pavlenko@db.com> was heard to say:
> | Excuse me if I say obvious things but maybe it will help.
> |
> | "file" URLs usually should have one or three slashes following the scheme
> | name, not two.
> |
> | file:/path - means missing authority part
> | file:///path - means empty authority name
> |
> | Both of the above imply the default authority:
> |
> | file://localhost/path
> |
> | If you use two slashes it means that you specify the authority explicitly
> | and in case of "file" scheme the authority means host name.
>
> Yes, I understand the semantics. Unfortunately, file: URIs interact
> badly with Windows style path names.
>
> | By the way, I also actively use CatalogResolver and have encountered many
> | times that it returns incorrect URLs like
> | file://c:/sofefolder/...

Alexander, were you using the trunk of xml-commons
resolver? As Norm said, those general problems had
already been fixed recently and we had tested it
on Windows.

> Could you try the patch I provided? I believe that I've plugged that
> hole. But I've also believed that before.

At Apache Forrest i upgraded our resolver.jar to use
the current xml-commons trunk (r395116). Fine for UNIX.
I asked our Windows users to test and yes, all is well.
However, we don't specifically use "user.dir" so i suppose
that we are just reporting that the new patch didn't break
other functionality.

-David