xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Glavassevich <mrgla...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL]: Upgrade XML Commons External to JAXP 1.4
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:45:11 GMT
Hi everyone,

The Xerces developers (myself included) have started planning for a
Xerces-J release which will add support for JAXP 1.4 [1][2]. JAXP 1.4 is a
minor update to JAXP 1.3; the largest technical change being the addition
of StAX (JSR 173) [3] and new Source/Result classes (see the
javax.xml.transform.stax package) which can be used with transformers and
validators. I believe Apache Harmony will eventually require JAXP 1.4 to
complete an implementation of Java SE 6.0. Other Apache projects (Axis2,
XMLBeans, etc...) are already using StAX.

With the JAXP 1.4 specification nearing finalization I propose that the
main trunk of XML Commons External be upgraded to JAXP 1.4 and a branch be
created for maintenance of JAXP 1.3 (which is what is currently on the
main trunk).

I noticed that a copy of the StAX API source is being distributed with
XMLBeans here [4] (see jsr173_1.0_api_bundle.jar) and on Apache mirror
sites. The source files contain Javadoc so it would be great if we could
use them. The README contained in the jar states that the source and
binary files are distributed under the Apache License 2.0, so it would
appear to me that the source can be included [5] in XML Commons External.
What do folks think?

Thanks.

[1] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/spec/html/
[2] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/api/