xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL]: Upgrade XML Commons External to JAXP 1.4
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:08:32 GMT
(cc'ing dev@xmlbeans.apache.org)

That's ok with me. The only thing bothering me is the XMLBeans' JAR file
with the API sources. It does not contain any indication whether this is
a clean-room reconstruction of the API sources based on the
specification or if they have been taken from the java.net site and
modified. The files there seem to be distributed under the CDDL [1]
which is a Category B license (binary only). The sources at java.net [2]
have Bea copyrights all over the place. Furthermore, I can't find the
StAX API sources anywhere in XMLBeans' repository. The individual files
in the API JAR do not contain the Apache license header as would be
required by any source file published by the ASF (due to the current
policy). The good thing on the other side is that Bea seems to be the
driving force behind XMLBeans and could officially donate the API
sources to the ASF for inclusion into XML Commons Externals. And Cliff
is XMLBeans' PMC chair. :-) So, before the API sources can be included
in XML Commons Externals a clarification will be necessary IMO.

[1] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/source/browse/jaxp-sources/jaxp-api/src/javax/xml/license.txt?rev=1.1&view=auto&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
[2] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/source/browse/jaxp-sources/jaxp-api/src/javax/xml/stream/StreamFilter.java?rev=1.1&view=auto&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

On 29.03.2006 00:45:11 Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The Xerces developers (myself included) have started planning for a
> Xerces-J release which will add support for JAXP 1.4 [1][2]. JAXP 1.4 is a
> minor update to JAXP 1.3; the largest technical change being the addition
> of StAX (JSR 173) [3] and new Source/Result classes (see the
> javax.xml.transform.stax package) which can be used with transformers and
> validators. I believe Apache Harmony will eventually require JAXP 1.4 to
> complete an implementation of Java SE 6.0. Other Apache projects (Axis2,
> XMLBeans, etc...) are already using StAX.
>
> With the JAXP 1.4 specification nearing finalization I propose that the
> main trunk of XML Commons External be upgraded to JAXP 1.4 and a branch be
> created for maintenance of JAXP 1.3 (which is what is currently on the
> main trunk).
>
> I noticed that a copy of the StAX API source is being distributed with
> XMLBeans here [4] (see jsr173_1.0_api_bundle.jar) and on Apache mirror
> sites. The source files contain Javadoc so it would be great if we could
> use them. The README contained in the jar states that the source and
> binary files are distributed under the Apache License 2.0, so it would
> appear to me that the source can be included [5] in XML Commons External.
> What do folks think?
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/spec/html/
> [2] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/api/