xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Glavassevich <mrgla...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Updating DOM to Level 3 Events?
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:49:34 GMT
Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on 01/29/2006 11:55:09 AM:

> (cc'ing batik-dev)
>
> I've finally found time to implement the plan [1] to add the SAC, SMIL
> and SVG DOM Java Bindings to XML Commons External. Everything's ready to
> be committed but I'm holding back for the moment since an unexpected
> detail came up:
>
> Currently, the Events package seems to be on DOM Level 2 but Batik
requires
> DOM Level 3 [2]. So the question is whether there's any problem if I
> upgrade the Events package to Level 3?
>
> I can see that JAXP 1.3 seems to be on Level 2 still: see [3]. Any
> feedback and suggestions how to proceed would be appreciated.

TCKs tend to have signature tests which verify that the classes/interfaces
defined or endorsed by the spec are precisely what was specified. I see
that DOM Level 3 events adds methods to existing interfaces, so I'd say
there's a good chance such a move would cause a TCK failure. We probably
need a branch for this (or create a JAXP 1.3 TCK compliant branch).

> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xml-commons-dev/200506.
> mbox/%3c20050626133157.488E.DEV.JEREMIAS@greenmail.ch%3e
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-DOM-Level-3-Events-20031107/java-
> binding.html
> [3] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.
> 0/docs/api/org/w3c/dom/events/package-summary.html
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development