xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Proposed plan to move W3C-licensed sources from Batik to XML Commons External
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:45:47 GMT
As requested by Shane, here's my proposed plan to move the following
W3C-licensed source packages from Batik to XML Commons External:

org.w3c.css.sac: The Simple API for CSS, http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/SAC/
org.w3c.dom.smil: SMIL Bindings, http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/java/classes/org/w3c/dom/smil/#dirlist
org.w3c.dom.svg: SVG Bindings, http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/java.html

These three packages are currently found here:
- http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/w3c/css/sac/
- http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/w3c/dom/smil/
- http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/w3c/dom/svg/

The current XML Commons External can be found here:
[1] http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-commons/java/external/src/

1. Placement of the sources:

I propose to simply put these source with their existing package
structure under [1] like the existing Java Bindings:

This will help make sure that the interoperability among the different
W3C-licensed packages will be maintained.

2. Build process:

The build will be extended to create a separate JAR (xml-apis-ext.jar)
containing the three new packages above. The contents of the original
xml-apis.jar will not be changed, i.e. the three new packages will not
land in xml-apis.jar.

3. Documentation:

The documentation will be updated to show the additional packages.
Additional license files will be created for each package, following the
example of the existing packages like the W3C DOM Java Bindings.

Although the W3C does not specify the license of their Java Bindings
properly everywhere I believe that all three new packages are licensed
under the W3C license, because those packages that don't have an
explicit license file are mentioned under [2].

[2] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/ipr-notice-20021231

README.dom.txt will be changed in the following way:
- It is updated to contain links to all (!) included W3C Java Bindings.
- It is updated to explain that xml-apis.jar contains the DOM Level 3
Java Bindings which are also included in JAXP 1.3 (and J2SE 5.0).
- An explanation will be added how the individual packages are divided
into xml-apis.jar and xml-apis-ext.jar.

A HISTORY file will be created (or updated) to document the changes made
by implementing this plan.

3. Timing:

If the SVN migration of XML Commons can happen within reasonable time
(until the ApacheCon EU Hackathon) I'd like to wait with implementing
this plan until the SVN migration is complete so we have the full
history of the move in Subversion.

Links to all W3C DOM Java Bindings: http://www.w3.org/DOM/DOMTR

List of DOM Java Bindings in JAXP 1.3:

Jeremias Maerki