xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: Additional W3C APIs in XML Commons External?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:21:32 GMT

On 20.06.2005 19:49:17 Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki <dev.jeremias@greenmail.ch> wrote on 06/20/2005 05:33:42
> AM:
>
> > Hi there
> >
> > Would anyone be opposed to adding three additional packages to
> > java/external here in XML Commons. Over in Batik there are the following
> > packages that should ideally be in a place like java/external since they
> > are not under the ALv2:
> >
> > org.w3c.css.sac: The Simple API for CSS,
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/SAC/
> > org.w3c.dom.smil: SMIL Bindings, http://dev.w3.
> > org/cvsweb/java/classes/org/w3c/dom/smil/#dirlist
> > org.w3c.dom.svg: SVG Bindings, http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/java.html
> >
> > This would help Batik clean up their repo so there is no mix of
> > ALv2- and W3C-licensed code.
>
> That sounds okay to me, though I would suggest that these packages be
> built into a new jar to keep a clean separation between the JAXP packages
> and other XML APIs.

No problem with that. But we could simply mix in the sources and control
the separation through the build, right? That an easy thing to do.

Good ideas about naming the second JAR? xml-apis-ext.jar?

> We're planning on tagging the main branch either
> tomorrow or Wednesday in preparation for the Xerces release scheduled for
> this Friday (and the upcoming Xalan release). Was this something you were
> planning on doing soon?

Soon, yes, but not that soon. Just do your release preparations and
notify the commons-dev@xml list when everything is finished. It makes no
sense to complicate your lives unnecessarily. :-)

Good to know that a new Xalan release is in the queue. I've got to check
that a certain bugfix I posted gets integrated. Hehe.

> > BTW, what about converting xml-commons to Subversion?
>
> I think we've been waiting for a period of calm where the only change
> going on is the migration from CVS to SVN. I expect activity on
> java/external to be fairly quiet again after this week. I know there's
> been some work being done on the resolver. Not sure what the status is on
> that.

Ok, so let's have a vote on the SVN migration after the externals
release. That'll force everyone's hand. The big problem will be the
timing of the migration since the infrastructure people seem to be
pretty busy.

Thanks,
Jeremias Maerki