xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From shane_curc...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Resolver: process for a major rewrite?
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:02:03 GMT
(Sorry - this one got lost in my mailer)

Good comments all around (well, the few of us here!).  My only suggestion
about versioning is to think about your clients - Xerces and Xalan, among
others.  If they primarily can drop-in our newly refactored resolver with
no or minimal updates to the existing API's they'd likely use, then keep
it on the trunk and call it 1.x.  If the existing public API is
significantly changing, then this needs to be a 2.x product, and we should
at least tag the sources before you do major new work, so we could later
create a branch from that tag to do a maintenance 1.x release later (which
is unlikely for this component, but it's always nice to be able to go
back).

Note that when xml-commons moves to Subversion we'll need to double-check
that branches/tags/history is imported, since this project has several
critical branches in regular use (mainly in external).

Yay Norm!

- shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com | Extreme Blue | Talent, Technology, Innovation