xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Neil Graham <ne...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: CVS Resolver supports XML Catalogs 1.1
Date Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:10:08 GMT
Hi David and all,

Of the various components of xml-commons, I know Xerces-J only uses
Resolver and XML-APIS at the moment; we don't use which, for instance.  I
think Xalan-J only uses XML-APIS.  So it seems to me like it would make
sense to make the components as autonomous as possible; if you only need
XML-APIS, for instance, you should not need to carry around a NOTICES file
about public-domain material from Arbortext.

So I'd suggest we establish separate NOTIZCES files for each of the
subcomponents from the start.

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
Manager, XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

David Crossley <crossley@apache.org>
04/22/2005 11:59 PM

Michael Glavassevich/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
commons-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject
Re: CVS Resolver supports XML Catalogs 1.1

Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> On the subject of the 2.0 license, I noticed in a recent commit of the
> resolver code [1] an attribution notice was added to the bottom of the
> license text. Shouldn't this be placed in a NOTICE file rather than the
> source code?

That is right Michael. I had actually started writing
a response wondering the same.

There are various products at xml-commons. Should they
all share the same NOTICE file. Anyway, we will start
with one and perhaps later we can split it.

I will start a NOTICE file at the top-level and people
can add as they see fit.

Norm can you please move to that.

See an example file at
http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt

How should this file be used? At Apache Forrest we have
only been adding to it when licensing conditions of the
supporting product require attribution.

--David

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-commons/java/src/org/apache/xml/resolver/Catalog.java?r1=1.14&r2=1.15&diff_format=h