xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Walsh <...@nwalsh.com>
Subject Resolver: process for a major rewrite?
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:12:45 GMT
The XML Catalogs spec has been revised by the OASIS Entity Resolution
Technical Committee. We've added two new entry types. As it turns out,
one of them was the test case I used for extensibility, so it won't
be hard to implement the new types :-)

However, I think the whole design of the Catalog classes needs a major
rewrite. It was my first attempt to build any sort of class library of
even moderate complexity and I didn't know enough about Java at the
time to do it very well.

Is there a process for rewrites? Suppose I spent some time working on
it, what would I do with the result? Just check the refactored code in
on top of the existing code? Put the new design in a branch? Put the
old design in a branch? Give it a new set of package names? What's the
Right Answer in xml-commons?

As an ancillary question, if you know of things you'd like to see done
differently, what are they?

                                        Be seeing you,