xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Neil Graham <ne...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: SVN migration (Was: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache)
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:53:48 GMT
Hi David,

David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote on 10/20/2004 03:20:26 AM:

> Neil Graham wrote:
> > >
> > > So would this be an appropriate time to move the
> > > xml-commons repository to SVN?
> >
> > Well, I don't know about you, but I generally prefer to ease my way
into
> > new software tools, rather than dive right into advanced usage.  So,
> > speaking for myself, I'd prefer to wait for a period of calm, where
the
> > move to SVN would be the only change, rather than combine the move to
SVN
> > with an update to most of the code in the xml-commons repository and
> > whatever tinkering with branches that this also might end up implying.
>
> I was not intending that the two get tangled.
> Either do the move before or after.
>
> Just that when "legal delays" were mentioned,
> i thought that there would be plenty of time.

Can we be optimistic and hope not?  :)

> Afterwards is fine by me. I was responding to the
> infrastructure@a.o request to consider moving soon.

Guess this was only sent to folks subscribed to infrastructure@; I haven't
seen it on any list I'm subscribed to anyway.  Good to know that they
consider this set-up stable now; but if they really want to encourage
projects to migrate, perhaps it might not be a bad idea to (a) let them
know directly and (b) sell them on how worthwhile the pain will be.  I'm
sure the pain's worthwhile from my perspective; I'd just rather wait until
we're sure we're in a period of calm than embark on something now only to
discover next week that things will get complicated.

> Apache Forrest was one of the early ones to move.
> The transition was a breeze and we love it now.

Cool!

Cheers!
Neil
Neil Graham