xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sarah McNamara <mcnam...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:12:44 GMT

David Crossley wrote:
>One thing that we must have this time around, is a
>version number on the xml-apis.jar filename. [1]
>I suppose that is an Xml-commons "build" issue.
>By the way, that build system is seriously in need
>of improvement, but it gets us by.

A version number 'on' the jar filename?  Are you suggesting something like
xml-apis.1.3.xx.jar ?

I'm not a big fan of having a version number 'on' the jar filename itself
since this causes maintenance issues for scripts and automated tools and
for users it requires changes to environment configurations, etc.

I agree we need a mechanism to identify different versions of an
xml-apis.jar, but would prefer to see a versioning scheme worked out such
that we can incorporate a Version class in the jar, version information in
the jar's manifest, and a release distribution package (source, or binary,
or both) that contains a version number on the package.

These changes were done on the tck-jaxp-1_2_0 branch in xml-commons.  Would
something like this meet your requirements and be acceptable on the main
branch?

Sarah McNamara