xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:39:32 GMT
Sarah McNamara wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >One thing that we must have this time around, is a
> >version number on the xml-apis.jar filename. [1]
> >I suppose that is an Xml-commons "build" issue.
> >By the way, that build system is seriously in need
> >of improvement, but it gets us by.
>
> A version number 'on' the jar filename?  Are you suggesting something like
> xml-apis.1.3.xx.jar ?
>
> I'm not a big fan of having a version number 'on' the jar filename itself
> since this causes maintenance issues for scripts and automated tools and
> for users it requires changes to environment configurations, etc.

That makes perfect sense.

> I agree we need a mechanism to identify different versions of an
> xml-apis.jar, but would prefer to see a versioning scheme worked out such
> that we can incorporate a Version class in the jar, version information in
> the jar's manifest, and a release distribution package (source, or binary,
> or both) that contains a version number on the package.
>
> These changes were done on the tck-jaxp-1_2_0 branch in xml-commons.  Would
> something like this meet your requirements and be acceptable on the main
> branch?

Any way to help identify the jar would be fine. The problem
arose at Apache Cocoon where we had this thing called xml-apis.jar
with no idea which version it was, or even if it came from xml-commons.
When we update that in the future we can add our own version number
to the jar filename. We do that with all jars - explicitly name them
with a version number.

--
David Crossley