In the upcoming release of Xerces-J we are going to be including support for OASIS XML Catalogs which will allow users to resolve locations for their schemas (using their target namespaces), DTDs and other external entities using a catalog.  The XML Commons resolver will be included with the distribution and used by the parser to resolve URIs.  This is a shorter version of the announcement I made on the Xerces mailing lists last week [1].

As Xerces will now have some dependency on the resolver, we'll be willing to fix some of its bugs (assuming it has any :-) ) and also possibly make some enhancements.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xerces-j-dev&m=107428963522270&w=2

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab