xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sarah McNamara <mcnam...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: org.xml.sax.helpers.DefaultHandler in xml-commons/JAXP
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:59:55 GMT

Xalan Java 2.5.1 and Xerces 2.5.0 are currently shipping with an
xml-apis.jar
that is built using the tck-jaxp-1_2_0 tagged files on the tck-jaxp-1_2_0
branch
of xml-commons.   This level of code passed the JAXP TCK using exclude list
jaxp_tck1.2.jtx.12-dec-2002.

After the tck-jaxp-1_2_0 branch was spun off, some changes were made in the
branch (in the July-August 2003 timeframe, can't remember when exactly) in
order
to support SAX 2.0.1.   So, yes, you might be seeing some signature
differences,
and these were intentional since we had discussed with the JAXP EG the
possibility
of allowing SAX 2.0.1 support in JAXP 1.2.   When these changes for SAX
2.0.1 went
in, some TCK tests started for fail and we applied to the JAXP EG for
revisions to the
TCK testcases to accomodate SAX 2.0.1.   The JAXP EG blessed the changes
and
provided us with an update to some api signature testcases around
08/19/2003.

Unfortunately the changes weren't blessed in time to meet the Xerces Java
2.5 release
schedule, so the changes have remained in the xml-common tck-jaxp-1_2_0
branch,
but have never been incorporated into Xerces or Xalan yet.

A build off the latest code in the tck-jaxp-1_2_0 branch should pass the
TCK provided
you have the updated TCK testcases.   The next time there is a Xerces
release,
xml-apis.jar will be updated, and then Xalan will follow suite shortly
thereafter.

On the versioning topic, I think we can definitely support proper
versioning information
since there is already a Version.class file in the xml-apis.jar, we just
have to update
it correctly and think about a naming convention that we'd all be happy
with.  There is
also a manifest file, so we could make use of that as well.  I don't like
the idea of adding
a version number to the name of the jar file itself though.

Sarah McNamara

----- Forwarded by Sarah McNamara/Toronto/IBM on 10/21/2003 05:58 PM -----

                      shane_curcuru@us.

                      ibm.com                  To:       commons-dev@xml.apache.org

                                               cc:

                      10/21/2003 03:11         Subject:  Re: org.xml.sax.helpers.DefaultHandler
in xml-commons/JAXP
                      PM

Grrrr.  Trying to handle too many different standards at once is a
headache, I agree.

In principle I'd say we'll be shipping the version that matches the
current JAXP 1.2 TCK, since we need to pass the TCK to have an official
release.  Unfortunately this sometimes means shipping potentially
confusing code for those who are already expecting the latest-and-greatest
of all their components.  I'm at least also relying on some other
volunteers to actually run the TCK tests since I don't have them on my
machine.

And the BUGS-sax file was just me checking in the entire SAX distribution
as-is a long time ago; it probably hasn't been updated by anyone since
then for bugfixes or for SAX/JAXP version updates.  Sorry!

Does that help at all?  I'm too tired today to completely parse the
message, but does anyone believe that we still have SAX code that does not
match the JAXP 1.2 TCK?  If so, we need to fix it.  If we have code that
does not match sourceforge SAX release, well, then, that's too bad for
now.  (Note: we plan to ship from the tck-jaxp-1_2_0 branch - if someone
else has a proposal to change things on the HEAD, that's fine; we just
can't have official releases from there until the JAXP TCK's get updated).

- Shane