xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ville Skyttä <ville.sky...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: org.xml.sax.helpers.DefaultHandler in xml-commons/JAXP
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:15:43 GMT
Thanks for the clarification, Shane.  Some comments below.

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 22:11, shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com wrote:

> In principle I'd say we'll be shipping the version that matches the
> current JAXP 1.2 TCK, since we need to pass the TCK to have an official
> release.

Makes sense.

>   Unfortunately this sometimes means shipping potentially
> confusing code for those who are already expecting the latest-and-greatest
> of all their components.

Hm, regarding this particular change, the people who are most likely to
get bitten are folks still using a < 1.4 J2SE and xml-commons-apis
1.0b2, kind of not ones who already expect the latest and greatest IMHO

xml-commons-apis 1.0b2 is (sf.net) SAX 2 compatible, but incompatible
with /all/ JAXP versions wrt. this tiny bit (IIRC).  And Xerces and
friends who ship SAX APIs have since long shipped JAXP (ie. not SAX)
compatible versions.

The next version of xml-commons-apis seems to turn this around, leaving
sf.net SAX alone "incompatible" with other Java packages including SAX

> Does that help at all?

Yes, thanks.

>   I'm too tired today to completely parse the
> message, but does anyone believe that we still have SAX code that does not
> match the JAXP 1.2 TCK?  If so, we need to fix it.

I don't know about this.

>   If we have code that
> does not match sourceforge SAX release, well, then, that's too bad for
> now.

This is what I was asking.  I think adding a note about this in the
release notes would not be a bad idea, especially because it is also an
incompatibility between xml-commons-apis 1.0b2 and $nextversion.

Cheers, \/ille

View raw message