xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From shane_curc...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: [xmlbeans-dev] RE: licenses for jaxb-api.jar and jax-qname.jar...?
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:28:40 GMT
Sorry for the cross-post, but this issue may come up very shortly in
xml-land; perhaps one of the best places for the common XML-oriented API's
is in xml-commons?  (Note: xml-commons discussion is more for the future
and tangential to any existing IP questions; please feel free to resolve
legal questions first!)

Note that Xalan (and perhaps other projects) will want to use at least the
new QName classes in their builds as well, and xml-commons would be a good
place to store them.  In the past, we'd worked directly with some of the
Xalan committers at Sun to get previews of these classes, although I don't
remember if we ever crossed the i's and dotted the t's of legalities of
these files.

Note that my preference would be to check in the .java sources of these
files into xml-commons, and have our own build process as we already do
with DOM, SAX, and JAXP (which Sun has defacto OK'd in the past, since
many of their engineers have collaborated on the JAXP sources with other
committers; note the JAXP sources are under the Apache license).

- Shane
---- "David Bau" <david.bau@bea.com> ----
I suspect the right alias is infrastructure@...

Infrastructure folks: we have an IP safety issue with two API JARs from
Sun
that were included with the original xmlbeans contribution (jaxb-api.jar
and
jax-qname.jar).  We're still climbing the learning curve on how to deal
with
API JARs like that, and to be safe, as soon as the issue was brought up,
we
removed those two JARs and dependencies on those JARs from the project.
May
or may not have been necessary, but certainly it's on the safe side.

To complete the purge, we need to ask for them to be physically removed
from
the attic in CVS too.  Can somebody help?  The original location of the
JARs
were

xml-xmlbeans/v1/external/lib/jaxb-api.jar
xml-xmlbeans/v1/external/lib/jax-qname.jar

Thanks for any help,

David