xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Neil Graham <ne...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] javax.xml and javax.xml.namespace package to xml commons
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:22:23 GMT

Hi Shane,

Although in an ideal world I think it would be best to wait for JAXP 1.3 to
finalize these classes, the projects using them probably have reached a
mass critical enough to justify their inclusion in commons.  But I do have
a few comments on your note:

> Note: we should be careful when we check in the first version to be sure
> it's correct and best matches whatever we think the standard will be in
> the future.

The QName etc. that are checked in should be what is referenced in the
specs that they came from (i.e., JAXB 1.1 and JAXRPC 1.1; I believe those
reflect the most current version of these classes).

> Be sure that QName is not a final class; one of the early
> versions from Sun was final until people got them to change it.

But if it *is* final, that's something Apache would want to take up in the
forum of JSR 206; before we start modifying API's ourselves, we need to be
*very* clear  what the licensing and legal implications are.  The JCP isn't
SAX, after all...

> Since the ASF has access to the TCKs, we can (and should) ship software
> that actually passes them when we implement appropriate JCP'd software.

No, I think we *must*.  One might not like the way the JCP works, but if
one thing is clear it's that products implementing JCP'd interfaces must
pass the appropriate TCK; there's no wiggle-room about being in the
"spirit" here...

I think we've also tried to keep commons to a version of what's *stable*;
the DOM level 3 API's are not there yet for this reason.  Since these
classes were used in JSR's that have gone final, it makes sense to include
them; but I don't believe we should be using commons to track where we
think specs are likely to go...

Just my $0.02.

Cheers!
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

                      shane_curcuru@us.

                      ibm.com                  To:       <commons-dev@xml.apache.org>

                                               cc:       "Ias" <iasandcb@apache-korea.org>

                      09/24/2003 10:50         Subject:  Re: [PROPOSAL] javax.xml and javax.xml.namespace
package to xml commons
                      AM

Sounds like an excellent idea.  They should live under java/external/src,
since that's the root of the tree where we keep external standards files -
i.e. stuff that effectively we are getting interface definitions from
someone else.

The is exactly what xml-commons is supposed to be for - I just haven't had
time to follow up on the new QName classes to do it.  I bet Xalan will
need it soon as well, and we should definitely store a common version that
everyone uses.  (Xalan currently has two: one clunky one from old XSLTC
code, and one for Xalan code that includes extra PrefixResolver
functionality).

Note: we should be careful when we check in the first version to be sure
it's correct and best matches whatever we think the standard will be in
the future.  Be sure that QName is not a final class; one of the early
versions from Sun was final until people got them to change it.  We should
also checkin an extra java/external/README.QName.txt file explaining where
we got this copy and what standard we expect it to be in in the future.
Also any LICENSE.QName.txt, if one is needed.

Note that while it might seem silly to have all these external files
copied here, instead of everyone getting them from the master 'sources'
(i.e., getting DOM files from W3C, etc.) this allows the ASF to have it's
own central copy of important standards that we can modify.  Often JCPs or
the W3C take a long time to update standards, and we may find bugfixes at
any time.  Having our own copy lets us fix bugs in real time, and then can
let us submit the working fixes back.

Also, the HEAD of xml-commons can be the latest-and-greatest of any code -
as long as it works, and is in the sprit of whatever external standard it
represents.  Xalan and Xerces also have a branch, tck-jaxp-1_2_0, which we
are using to track bugfixes that specifically will pass the JAXP 1.2 TCK.
Since the ASF has access to the TCKs, we can (and should) ship software
that actually passes them when we implement appropriate JCP'd software.

- Shane