xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: some issues with docs: license review
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 07:33:23 GMT
On 2003-07-11 Norman Walsh wrote:
> David Crossley was heard to say:
> | While trying to build the XML Commons website, i am running
> | into quite a lot of issues.
> |
> | Licenses is one issue. I was first attracted by some tricky
> | copyright bits in the Resolver documentation, but ended up finding
> | some discrepancies elsewhere too.
>
> Um, I'll be happy to try to straighten out the resolver bits.

Thanks Norm, i have applied the suggested changes to the
resolver side of things. Waiting on the PMC for the other
issues (4.5 down, 13.5 to go).

More discussion below ...

> [...]
> | -------------------------------------------------------
> | 4) xml-commons/java/src/org/apache/xml/resolver/LICENSE
> | ----------
> |  * The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
> |  *
> |  *
> |  * Copyright (c) 2001 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
> |  * reserved.
> | ----------
> |
> | This has different text to 1) and a different way to define "year"
> | (which is still 2001). It refers to "Xalan" rather than "Apache"
> | and additionally refers to IBM. I wonder if that is a relic from
> | copying another license.
>
> I'm sure it is. When I moved it to Apache I was told it had to have
> the Apache Software License in every file, so I "cut-and-pasted" it
> from another file. I must have chosen my source poorly.
>
> I suggest it be globally replaced with the proper license.

Done.

> [...]
> | -------------------------------------------------------
> | 6) xml-commons/java/src/org/apache/xml/resolver/*.java
> |
> | These have embedded license as per 4)
> | i.e. they mention Xalan and IBM and still say "2001".
> |
> | A couple of files say "Lotus" instead of IBM.
> |
> | If 4) is replaced by 1) then these headers would change too.
>
> Yes.

Done.

> | -------------------------------------------------------
> | 7) xml-commons/java/tests/resolver/src/*.java
> | ----------
> |
> | These have embedded license as per 4)
> | i.e. they mention Xalan and IBM and still say "2001".
>
> Ditto.

Done.

> | -------------------------------------------------------
> | 8) xml-commons/java/docs/resolver.xml
> | ----------
> |
> | The entity resolver article has had many lives.
> | Now there is this version at xml-commons.
>
> It has indeed.
>
> | The document has the following explicit copyright statements, which
> | will get rendered when Forrest generates the HTML documentation.
> | ----------
> | Copyright © 2001, 2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> | Copyright © 2000 Arbortext, Inc.
> | ----------
> | Do we just add "2003 ASF" as an additional holder?
> |
> | Forrest will also automatically add this to the bottom
> | of the page footer ...
> | ----------
> | Copyright © 2003 The Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.
> | ----------
> | I presume that that sits okay with the abovementioned explicit
> | statements for past years
>
> I'm comfortable that it does. If something more explicit than my
> comfort is required, then I can pursue it.

Okay, i have added ASF for 2003. The PMC can please speak up if
something else is required.

> Or I can pull this doc out
> of the repository and just publish it separately, but I'd rather not.

Please keep it here in xml-commons. This is the main reason
that i am trying to help get the xml-commons website published.
The resolver is such an important tool.

> | Also this Resolver article links to a copyright.html which
> | does not exist. Should this link to the licence at 5) ?
>
> Yes, that's fine.

This is not yet done, as i need to find a way to get Forrest
to link to documents in other parts of the tree.
(I meant link to item 3 of course, not 5.)

> | 9) xml-commons/java/docs/release-notes.xml
> |
> | The resolver release notes have the copyright holder as Sun.
> | Perhaps this should be only ASF because the notes cover the
> | xml-commons release of Resolver.
>
> Yeah, I probably forgot to cut-and-paste that one.

Fixed.

Thanks again Norm
--David