xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ias" <iasan...@apache-korea.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] javax.xml and javax.xml.namespace package to xml commons
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:43:52 GMT

JAXP 1.3 would be "The One". However, there may developers and users who
want to remain with the elder generations such as JAXP 1.2 or even JAXP 1.1.
(Probably not they want but they have to for some reasons like supporting
old systems.)

> the time schedule I would prefer to leave the situation as it
> is (short schedule) or agree with you.

According to JAXP 1.3 official site, http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=206, it
is supposed to be finalized by 1Q 2004 (I'm not sure though :-) along with
J2SE 1.5 Tiger.

One of the reason I made this proposal is that those who use Axis with JaxMe
may be confused with which implementation of QName in use because currently
those projects both keep their own QName class respectively. At the same
time, some want to avoid this redundant situation and it's good in general
that we have a shared component for that as JWSDP 1.2 shows.

I'd also like to point out that from 2.10 of JSR 206 page JAXP 1.3 will
provide common XML constructs for other XML technologies such as JAX-RPC NG,
JAXB NG and so on. I think keeping JaxMe as it has java.xml common packages
as an exterior shared library might be better for the future release.

Regards,

Ias