xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ville Skyttä <ville.sky...@iki.fi>
Subject org.xml.sax.helpers.DefaultHandler in xml-commons/JAXP
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 18:06:45 GMT
I'm wondering what is the correct method signature of
org.xml.sax.helpers.DefaultHandler.resolveEntity(), in SAX it is
declared to throw an IOException, whereas in J2SE 1.4.x, J2EE 1.3.x only
SAXException is declared (IOException is documented, which is clearly
bogus ATM, it's a checked exception but not declared).

The difference is visible here:
http://www.saxproject.org/apidoc/org/xml/sax/helpers/DefaultHandler.html#resolveEntity(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String)
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/org/xml/sax/helpers/DefaultHandler.html#resolveEntity(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String)

AFAICT, the IOException has always been thrown in upstream SAX.  Also,
this issue has been identified as a in-progress bug in JAXP:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4749727.html

xml-commons-1.0 followed upstream SAX, but I see this has been changed
to (bug-)compatible in tck-jaxp-1_2_0:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-commons/java/external/src/org/xml/sax/helpers/DefaultHandler.java.diff?r1=1.2&r2=1.2.6.1&only_with_tag=tck-jaxp-1_2_0

However, BUGS-sax (outdated?) has a [FIXED] entry about the opposite:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-commons/java/external/BUGS-sax?rev=1.1&only_with_tag=tck-jaxp-1_2_0&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I'm somewhat confused, and would like to hear some opinions what should
one expect to happen about this in the future.

Thanks,
--
\/ille Skyttä
ville.skytta at iki.fi